Ultra Girly, Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
Anyone who knows me knows I am far from ultra girly, however, after the dentist, I felt a little low and blue. The remedy? PINK! Luckily, the plan was for strawberry cupcakes this weekend…
These are gluten free and I have to say, YES, the flour is triple the price of normal flour but hell, it was worth it. These were D.I.V.I.N.E. The oldest chief taster, L, said the cake was equally as nice as the frosting (which warmed the cockles of my heart on this minus two degrees day by the North Sea)!
All I can say is, give this one a try.
Ultra Girly, Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting (12 cakes)
230g (2 cups) plain (all-purpose) gluten free flour (I used the one from Morrisons)
200g (1 cup) caster sugar
½ tsp gluten free baking powder
pinch salt (I don’t add salt, instead I use ‘Best for Baking’ butter which is slightly salted)
115g (1/2 cup) butter (unsalted if using salt)
120ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk (or just milk)
½ tsp vanilla extract (or 1 scraped vanilla pod)
* Preheat oven to 170C/325F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
* In a bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix.
* Add butter, mixing until combined.
* In a jug, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry, beating well. Beat until everything is incorporated.
* Divide batter between the cases and bake for 20 minutes (or until a skewer pushed into the middle of a cake comes out clean).
* Cool completely.
200g (3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp) butter/Trex (Trex gives a better colour)
300g (3 cups) icing sugar
Touch of red food colouring
Touch of milk (to loosen if necessary)
Touch of strawberry flavouring (or add mashed fresh strawberries, although not sure how this would work!)
* Whip into a frosting frenzy! Pipe into a rose, using a 1m Wilton tip.