Oh my, what’s not to love? The gentle aphrodisiac of ginger, the cheeky sweetness of orange and the silkiness of warm chocolate. Perfect.
There’s nothing more delicious than chunky cookies that are crisp on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle. I remember making dozens of cookies using a tubbed ready-to-go-dough whilst working for a well known bakery chain. We deliberately ‘forgot’ to flatten the dough balls so that our customers always got that delicious chewy centre. Even more enticing when they’re warm! Who can resist a fresh-from-the-oven cookie?
Sit back, pour that glass of milk and indulge in the memories of childhood.
Hot, hazy summer days, lazing by the paddling pool, gently fishing out the unsuspecting insects that buzzed innocently above the water and dropped in. Cool carpets of grass tickling the toes, soft whispers of a warm breeze pushing through the branches of the overhanging apple tree. Bright young things, completing wobbly hand-stands, dancing, calling out, laughing, giggling whilst platefuls of freshly cut orange slices just wait to ooze their juices down sticky chins…
Just think – we’re moving into spring and then soon, very soon, it will be summer. Hot? Maybe. But I think I’ll still be calling for the ginger 🙂
Glitter Cookies – Ginger, Orange and Chocolate (10 BIG, 15 smaller) (adapted from ‘Chocolate: a collection of over 100 essential recipes)
210g plain flour
125g unsalted butter
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
110g light brown sugar
100g caster sugar
70g chopped dark chocolate (nice and chunky!)
1 generous tsp of golden syrup
20g finely grated fresh ginger
zest of 1 orange
melted milk chocolate for covering
Gold edible glitter (for decoration)
* Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
* Grease and line two good sized baking trays.
* In a bowl, whisk the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Keep to one side.
* Cream the butter and sugars together until nice and pale.
* Add the ginger and orange zest.
* Add the eggs gradually, still beating slowly.
* Fold in the flour, then the chocolate.
* Form balls the size of golf balls – flatten them gently onto the trays. Leave room between them as they do spread!!
* Bake for 10-12 minutes. You can flatten them slightly when they come out.
* Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack. Meanwhile, melt your chocolate ready to spread/drizzle onto your cookies. Sprinkle with gold ‘ginger’ glitter.