2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
4 oz okra, topped and tailed
2 tsp diced green and red peppers
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 green chilies, finely chopped
1/2 tsp five-spice powder
1 vegetable stock cube
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
3 cups cooked rice
salt and ground black pepper
coriander sprigs, to garnish
* Heat the oil and the butter or margarine in a frying pan, add the garlic and onion and fry gently on a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.
* Slice the okra in a diagonal slice, add to the frying pan and stir-fry gently for a further 6-7 minutes. They will release a sticky substance – this is fine.
* Add the green and red peppers, thyme, chilies and five-spice powder and cook for 3 minutes.
* Crumble the stock cube onto the rice.
* Add the soy sauce, coriander and rice and heat through, stirring.
* Season a little pepper. Serve hot, garnished with coriander sprigs.